Content marketing groups could be your most powerful secret weapon. In this guide, we round up 18 of the best communities on Facebook, LinkedIn and Slack.
There’s a lot of talk these days about the move towards private groups on social media. However, groups are nothing new.
Groups have been a key feature of Facebook and LinkedIn for years, bringing together people with shared interests. More recently, we’ve seen the emergence of new platforms that support groups, like Slack and WhatsApp. The reason why groups are growing in popularity is that they offer solutions to some of the biggest issues we face on social media today: privacy, bots, spam, and tricky algorithms, to name a few (that’s why we build our new tool, Quuu Pods).
For content marketers, in particular, groups are good news! In this post, we’re going to introduce you to 18 must-join communities.
The benefits of joining content marketing groups
Groups are a content marketer’s secret weapon. They help you:
- Connect with like-minded people in your field – it’s nice to talk to people who are doing the same thing as you, especially if you’re working remotely or as part of a small team
- Build valuable professional relationships (for example, a content marketing group could help you find guest authors for your blog)
- Communicate directly with industry experts and influencers
- Learn and seek advice on any problems you’re dealing with
- Share your own expertise and advice, building your brand reputation
- Conduct market research
- Reach and engage your target audience (without battling those pesky algorithms!)
- Stay on top of industry trends and breaking news
- Look or hire for jobs
- Promote your content (be careful with this, as it depends on the group’s rules, but Slack groups often have dedicated content promotion channels)
However, not all groups were created equal. I’ve certainly joined groups that have been disappointing, either because they’re not very active or because they’re full of self-promoting posts.
So to make life easier for all of us, I decided to put together a definitive list of the best groups for content marketers, based on thorough research, recommendations from fellow marketers, and my own experiences. All of the groups are highly active and engaged, non-spammy, and free to join.
Here they are, in no particular order…